Tuesday, November 3, 2009

HORROR!

Last weekend was my first Halloween. I admit it, I was a Halloween virgin. I did not know the mysteries of this celebration of ghouls and ghosts. Last week I bubbled with excitement at the prospect of gaining insight into this morbid festival, which had so transfixed my American peers with glee in anticipation. Don’t get me wrong, I had heard rumors about what happens during Halloween, the trick or treating’, the dressing up, the parties, but nothing could have prepared me for the Rocky Horror show. At the insistence of some peers I attended this Trinity event. Nothing could have prepared me for what I would see. My eyes lost their innocence in a show characterized by lingerie, drag queens and overt sexual innuendo which took audience participation to a new level.

If you were like me and had never seen a rocky horror show production, you were classified with a big red “V” on your forehead. This letter in lipstick helped the cast identify prime targets to initiate into this raunchy show that looked like something out of The Bacchae. Admittedly, I was perturbed by the prospect of plunging myself into this production that turned even the most masculine males into sexually suggestive cross dressers. So, I rubbed out “V” off my forehead and resumed my role purely as a spectator.

Even though, I was stunned by this production, I had more than a few giggles and frozen moments in utter awe. Yes, this show was definitely a transition for me, coming from a totally different culture, but I think it as a learning curb. A welcomed exposure to a different type of theatre which I have to admit was entertaining. That is, when once the shock had finally subsided.

No comments:

Post a Comment